Sigh. Ok. This isn’t really gonna be a pleasant one to read, but I feel like it needs to be laid out and discussed, anyway. Once this is done, I’ll be glad to focus on a more light-hearted look at women in pantyhose.
- Tanning beds – These artificial means of tanning have been around since the late 80’s, I believe. At first, it didn’t affect the # of women wearing hose too much. But over time, the beds and salons have become more common. For a long time, one reason women wore hose was for the look of shiny tan. And so they would buy and wear those suntan pantyhose. Tanning beds have helped take away that need. In fact, you can almost bet that women that frequent these places can’t stand pantyhose, or make fun of it. The vast majority, anyway. Just remember, ladies – orange legs look artificial, and stupid. So does leathery skin. Not to mention, the sheer risk of skin cancer from exposing yourself repeatedly to strong amounts of these UV rays. Tanning beds kind of go hand in hand with…
2. Spray tans and self tanners – I’m not a woman, and I’ll admit that I don’t know a lot about these. I do know that the spray tans are part of what a tanning salon provides. They look artificial to me, and orange. Not to mention, I understand they can be messy. They can rub off, and leak…all over clothing and other things. It’s obvious to me (and most everyone else) when women are using these spray tans – they’re just extremely orange and artificial looking. I don’t know a lot about self tanners, either, other than the fact that women are out there using them. These I can understand more – they at least don’t leave that artificial look. I’ve seen plenty of fair skinned women who inexplicably seem to have a little bit of tan on their legs due to these self-tanners. So bully for them. I guess. Provided these things are safe and not harmful in any way. But #1 and #2 are why women don’t wear suntan or even nude hose nearly as often these days. They can achieve this look through other means. And this leads to #3.
3. Fashion bloggers panning nylons – This happens way too often. Just about the time hose get a little bit of media, or a little trendy, some so-called fashion guru or know-it-all blogger will have to pen some column about how awful hose are, or the “What was she thinking?” columns where they spotlight some actress or musician and make fun of her clothing. Do a pantyhose google search sometime on famous women. Half of the photos you even find are connected to some blog where some bitch has to make fun of a woman for wearing pantyhose. Tremendously catty. And a lot of times uncalled for. I especially hate it when it is nude or tan hose, because those don’t get seen often enough anymore. And you know what? Regardless of what a woman’s legs look like, she should never feel ashamed for putting on a pair of nylons. It’s feminine attire, and women should never be ashamed of being feminine. This leads me to #4. But we are raising these 18 yr old girls nowadays to think they are some kind of grandma or slut if they wear stockings. And that’s sad. Even pathetic, in my opinion.
4. Masculinizing Women in Western Society – I don’t want to get too heavy or political here. But c’mon, if you haven’t noticed, this has been going on in the U.S.A. for the last 25 yrs or so. Women are empowered thru the media. Every ad, and even most TV shows are constantly showing them in a confident, ass-kicking, positive light. Men are the ones shown to be buffoons. We sure don’t celebrate men being men in America, and we don’t celebrate women being in their feminine, either. No, no. Everything has to be gender neutralized nowadays. Cuz equality. This really sucks, and I say, to hell with it. The polarity of sexes is important, and it matters. I believe it will always matter, at least to a degree. So yes, ladies, show off your legs. But by all means, they have to be in shiny porcelain Amazon goddess form, or wax figure form. Certainly not in any nylon pantyhose form. This is according to the media, anyway. Leading to #5.
5. Women have earning power – Over the yrs, part of the whole deal in the U.S., always was that men were the breadwinners. And women stayed home and raised the kids. Of course, this has all gradually changed over the yrs. Women have gained a lot of personal power, and for the most part, this is a good thing. However, they not only are masculinized in their jobs now, but they don’t feel the need as strong to be wearing no pantyhose to lure no man, no sirree. The narrative is that they don’t need one, and they surely don’t want to look weak in their desire to obtain one. (shrugs) Again, I don’t mean to get too heavy here, but I’m just putting it out there. Things are how they are.
6. Unawareness of advances in hosiery – Many women out there don’t necessarily have disdain for hosiery, they are just kind of indifferent about it. They’ve worn it off and on thru the yrs, and they can remember it being cheap, itchy, easy to run, etc. They never really liked pantyhose, so they don’t seek it out. They’re not really aware of some of the advances made, such as lycra spandex…and some of the companies that really do a good job of manufacturing and selling hose. And yes, some of them are foreign.
The good news? There’s still hope.
Women still wear nylons fairly often in Europe, and to an extent, in Canada. The Middleton sisters in Great Britain have been a boon to pantyhose, and helped revive them being worn. I was so pleased to discover Kate and Pippa Middleton wearing pantyhose, I can’t tell you how much. Kate has great style, knows how to dress whether she’s wearing hose or not, and look fabulous. And not just any hose, but she will wear plenty of nude and tan hose, too – something I hope gets revived in America, at least somewhat. She is a fashion icon that women who still have the desire to dress like a lady can emulate. With the recent birth of her daughter, we haven’t seen many photos or headlines about her, lately. I look forward to seeing more pics and news about her – she’s beautiful, and knows how to dress with class the way her mother-in-law Lady Diana did.
Of course, we still do see pantyhose in America. It’s just that women are usually wearing the off black or sheer black varieties. Or opaques, too. We’re heading into Halloween, and the winter holidays, so I’m looking forward to seeing more women in pantyhose over the next few months. 🙂